Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport
Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (IATA: SRQ, ICAO: KSRQ) was built to combine both airports of Sarasota and Bradenton cities. Therefore, the airport construction plan was ready by 1939, and in 1941 the Sarasota Manatee Airport Authority was established.
During World War II the airfield was used by the Army Air Corps and was, therefore, known as the Sarasota Army Airfield. The Army Air Corps extended the airport up to 870 acres. However, later in 1947, the airport was returned to civilian use again. By that time the first airline operating from the airport was National Airlines that deactivated its operations in 1980.